The Bush Debate
What are pubic hairs?
Pubic hair is terminal body hair that is found in the genital area of adolescent and adult humans. The hair is located on and around the sex organs and sometimes at the top of the inside of the thighs. In the pubic region around the pubis bone, it is known as a pubic patch. Pubic hair is found on the scrotum in the male and on the vulva in the female.
Do you remember the first time you shaved your pubic hairs? Or do you not shave your pubic hairs? Okay, even if you can or cannot relate, everyone has a preference when it comes to maintaining their pubic hairs. “Landing strip,” “Brazilian,” “Five o'clock shadow,” “Full bush,” or “Clean shave,” you name it. Whether you have a freshly trimmed flowerbed, or lush, overgrown jungle, you are in charge of your own foliage. Along with that autonomy comes a range of reasons for why men and women do, or do not prefer to have hair down there. Maybe you like the skin around your hoo-ha to be silky smooth for sex. Or maybe you would rather skip the irritated skin and save time in the shower, whatever the case; it is your personal preference. Below are a few reasons why some men and women shave and some do not.
The reasons why some shave:
- Oral sex is more pleasant for the giver without hair getting in the way or stuck between the teeth.
- Women feel more feminine down there,
- It is more hygienic.
- It Makes your bikini line looks better.
- Your partner would rather you shave.
- You like the soft feel.
- Hair leads to unpleasant smell.
- There is less chance of getting crabs (lice), if there is no hair for them to live in.
- It is easier to keep clean.
- For men, having no pubic hair can mean the penis seems longer.
- It feels good!
- It is healthier.
- For those who do not wear underwear, your pubic hairs will not get stuck in your zipper.
- It is not as messy when that time of the month comes.
- You stay cooler.
The reasons why some do not shave:
Some women feel more confident with pubic hairs.
- You do not have to deal with ingrown hairs or shaving bumps.
- For some women pubic hair makes them feel more powerful and womanly (see “confident” above).
- Some say their skin is protected from rubbing and irritations.
- Some do not like the discomfort when hair starts to grow back (itching).
- Having hair saves time.
- Your partner would rather you have hair.
- For some no hairs can lead to friction burn when having sex.
- Helps prevent STD’s.
- Some get rashes, razor bumps, or cuts.
For those who do not want to shave, make sure you wash your pubic region very well, pat dry, wear underwear that allows more air circulation, change underwear frequently, and keep your bush short. Every now and then walk around your home naked or sleep naked. It is good to let your private area get air and breathe. At least keep it trimmed.
For those who wax during that time of the month, its best to wait until after. Studies show that during that time, or in days leading up to that time of the month, hormonal fluctuations can cause an increased perception of pain.
Always have a dedicated razor for pubic hairs. NEVER use this razor on other parts of your body. The same with towels.